Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Weather Change


“It’s a shame to be poor, Mother,” said I, spearing another breakfast sausage with my International Silver Crown Princess pattern silver fork. 

Mother looked at me quizzically, and I continued, “You can have your Bunter, but this morning I wish we had a chauffeur.  We have had a weather change and the low tire light came on this morning when I made a run to Central Market for a loaf of Pagnotta bread.  It was such a nuisance taking our Jaguar XKRS over to Discount Tire.  Why, the person sitting next to me in the waiting room was actually wearing those ridiculous short pants that come down below the knees and sneakers without socks. Without socks, mind you!  That’s a lot to face before breakfast.”

 “I know what you mean Alfred,” Mother said. “Just where can we find the strength to face the day in this world of ours?  There are times when it seems as though there is a little bit of hell on earth.  Heaven must be such a wonderful place; nothing ugly, nothing gauche, nothing rude.”

“Ah, Mother,” said I. “Rather like dinner at the Petroleum Club.  Those wonderful crystal chandeliers; and such a view! Looking out over the city all the lights are shining like stars in the night.”

Mother fell silent for a while.  There was a frown on her face.  I buttered a piece of Pagnotta and took another bite of my breakfast sausage.

“Alfred,” she said, “What if we don’t make it to heaven?  What if we have to spend eternity without a Bunter to care for our needs and without a chauffeur?”

“I know what you mean, Mother.  Just one visit to that Church raised a dreadful doubt.”
“Well,” said Mother, “I don’t think it was the sermon.  It was so long that I just tuned it out.”  Mother paused, “What do you think it was Alfred?”

“Mother,” said I with a sudden flash of insight, “It might have been the Confession.  I never did like the Confession.”

“Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, "Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?"  I said to him, "Sir, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.  Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will shelter them with his presence.  They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat” (Revelation 7:13-16).

No comments:

Post a Comment